Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Wedding Planning Update!

I have answered the question a million times - "So how are wedding plans going?"  And to be honest, I'm never quite sure how to answer the question because there are days that I feel like I have a TON of planning done, and there are other days that I am positive it will all never get accomplished!  But I am here to report that today is a good day - a day of feeling like we have accomplished a lot!  So for those of you dying to know, read on to find out what we have accomplished in our wedding planning journey thus far!

1. Church - we have secured the church (St. Francis de Sales) for our date, after changing the date a million times, and after having our name on three dates at one point . . . we have also had our initial meeting with the priest, where he filled out the paperwork to be sent to the diocese where the church will state they will be recognizing our marriage . . . the priest also gave us a book of different scripture readings and other things that go along with the ceremony to get us thinking.  We certainly have a bit of time to make the decisions about who the readers will be and what readings they will be doing, but at least we have a church to get married in - right? :)

2.  Reception Venue - we have secured a location for all of our friends and family to gather together in celebration of our wedding.  We searched all over Morgantown and the surrounding areas before choosing our location.  We will be having our reception at the Knights of Columbus in Morgantown.  The catering company (The Ritz Touch) is amazing and provides excellent service to Jeff and I throughout the entire planning process.  We have already called them at least a dozen times with questions that they have been so kind to answer almost immediately!  The room is gorgeous and the staff that sets up are amazing and have a great eye for detail.  We will be meeting with them in January to discuss the set up of the room, the food, the decorations, centerpieces, etc. so stayed tuned for an update on that! :)

3.  Photographer - This seemed to take forever, when in reality it took us two weeks - two very, very long weeks of meeting with a different photographer every night.  We had meetings that stretched from Clarksburg all the way into Pittsburgh.  I don't even want to think about the miles we drove in those two weeks meeting with everyone, searching for the perfect photographer.  As we neared the end of the second week of searching, I was convinced that the perfect photographer even existed.  One of our last meetings was with a gentleman that my big, Julie, suggested that we check out.  While his prices seemed a little high at first glance when compared to others we had met with, we decided to meet with him anyways.  Boy, was I glad that we did!  We met Paul Meyer at Panera in Washington, PA on a Thursday evening.  I wasn't really sure at first if this was 'the one.'  After 15 minutes - maybe even 5 minutes - of chatting with Paul, I was sure I found my perfect photographer.  He spent a great deal of time explaining every single detail of his packages, his work, etc to us and was personable, professional and funny all at the same time!  His work was amazing!!!  I knew Jeff would be sold when Paul handed Jeff a large wedding album with a clear glass like cover with a metal piece underneath that had a photo of the couple.  Now, this may not seem that exciting, but to Jeff, this was the most amazing thing - the album was LARGER than a large atlas.  I cannot describe the album and provide sufficient detail... but if Jeff has his way, after our wedding, you are all invited to our house (wherever that may be) to look at our GIGANTIC wedding album.  Jeff's eyes lit up and a huge smiled came across his face.  We left the meeting with Paul, got in the car and Jeff said, "Well...?"  and I explained I wanted his reaction before I provided mine.  I really wasn't sure what to think because of the tone of his voice at first.  Jeff explained, "well, he seems a little pricey, BUT, I LOVE HIM and I would LOVE him as our photographer!"  I was overcome with joy!  We decided to celebrate with some Rita's frozen custards!  It was delicious!  We headed home, and decided to "sleep on it" before making our final decision.  As Jeff loves to do, we put all of the photographer information into a spreadsheet to begin comparing the packages offered by everyone and the personalities - after all, these people will be in our faces all day long!  We had one final meeting with another photographer as a follow up to our initial meeting with them because they were second in line to Paul. At the end of that meeting, as we got into the car, Jeff and I almost at the same time said, Paul is our guy!  So the next day we mailed our deposit and contract off to Paul at Paul Meyer Photography  and within a few days we received a lovely note back from Paul explaining he was looking forward to meeting us and also included a gift certificate to Starbucks!  How lovely?  I know that was a long explanation for a photographer update, but I just had to tell everyone how excited we are to have Paul!

4.  DJ - this has been the 'flavor of the week' lately... Jeff took charge of looking for a DJ... and while it may not seem like a big deal, it almost seems like the success of the reception is somewhat on the shoulders of the DJ so we wanted to make sure we had a good one picked out.  We had our options narrowed down, then a friend of mine told me he could do the job - I was super excited.  Unfortunately, after two weeks of emails back and forth, I learned that he had over booked and was no longer able to be our DJ.  So, through tears of sadness and frustration, I called Jeff, who as always, managed to calm me down, and make it seem like no big deal.  I might also note that when I found out, I was having a bad day already so this was the cherry on my ice cream that day.  Anyways, Jeff has been holding onto a contract from our top choice of DJs (before the overbooked one came along) and called the gentleman.  Luckily, he was still available, so we sent in the deposit and contract and have secured our DJ!  Now all that is left on this subject is to select the songs for various dances, make a do-not play list, and figure out the order of our reception.  I think this is going to be a larger task than we think... we shall see!

5.  Wedding Dress - I think I updated everyone on the dress, but I was able to find a dress that I am absolutely in love with.  Not at all what I thought I would pick out.  I wont be having any fittings for awhile, so for now, the dress is sitting in storage in a safe place at my parent's house.  No questions on what the dress looks like please... it is a secret for the big day! :)

6.  Colors - Within the past few days, I have finally decided on colors.  I have been going back and forth between a million different options, narrowed it down to two, gone back to a million, selected one, slept on it and then decided against it.  I talked to Lindsay, the Maid of Honor, about flower options because she used to work at a floral shop.  I know this might sound crazy, but I was just concerned about what flower options I would have with each of the color schemes.  It turns out that the one I have selected many times, and then pulled away from, is going to be the best option for floral choices for the time of year that our wedding is in.  I'm not really sure why I have been so unable to nail down the colors, but I guess it's the crazy perfectionist in me that wants to make sure I can get EVERYTHING to match and that I can find things in my colors.  So without any further delay... our color scheme (if you haven't figured it out already) is . . .

Black
White
Grey
Yellow


Here are some color pallets that inspired us to select our colors:



















As for the wedding party attire - no clue yet... as for anything else really... no clue yet!  But things take time and it will all get done... eventually! :)  We have a nice little to do list for the next few weeks to get some things knocked out - hopefully nothing gets in the way of my motivational train! :)  If you have any inspiration for us, be sure to leave us a comment! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment