Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Blizzard that Paralyzed the South...

If you have been watching the weather, you probably saw reports of the south getting "pounded" by a blizzard.  Well, as a northern, this was no blizzard.  We got 4-5" of snow... and then about 1/10" of ice on top from the freezing rain.

The south was paralyzed by the "blizzard" for a few reasons.
1.  No one here can drive in this stuff
2.  The state has barely any (or no) equipment needed for handling snow and ice
3.  The people that have no idea how to drive on this stuff think they can drive, so they do, and cause problems

As a result of this paralyzing storm, I was saved from the doom of returning to school on Monday.  I was unhappy on Monday when I heard school was cancelled because I was sure that we wouldn't get Tuesday off and I didn't even have classes on Monday!  Well, I was wrong.   Classes were cancelled not only on Tuesday, but on Wednesday too!  The school decided to alter the schedule to make up the snow days, and as a result instead of having 6 days of classes in two weeks... I have 3 days of classes in two weeks!  Amazing!  I am not sure I will be able to handle a full 3 days of classes in ONE week.  I guess eventually I will find out what that is like! :)

My snow days were used to attempt to get ahead on my reading for the semester and to browse TONS of websites for wedding ideas.  My head is spinning with ideas and now it is a matter of stopping my mind from spinning, making some decisions and putting my plan in action.  Oh what a great semester this is going to be! :)

Here are photos of the epic storm...

This was the first picture I took of the "blizzard" - I took this around 10am... 
 Here is another view of the street near the apartment complex... taken from my balcony
 Look how "much" snow we got!  This is on one of the tables outside of the clubhouse near the pool...
 Who wants to go swimming?!?!?!?!
 The driveway to the complex...
 Day Two of the Blizzard... Gotta love an icy blanket covering everything!
 Too bad I left my ice skates in West Virginia!  
(This is the same road that was in the first picture, only instead of snow, it is all ice...)
 Look how deep the snow is on the railing of my balcony... HAHAHA!
I actually took this on my third snow day... things had started to melt but the ice was still there!

No comments:

Post a Comment