Thursday, January 13, 2011

Invitation Dilemma

I have been searching for months now for the "perfect" wedding invitations.  To be "perfect" the invitations must be cute, come in our wedding colors, have some sort of special element to them, be reasonably priced and just wow me.

I began my invitation adventure believing that I was SuperBride and could hand craft EVERYTHING including the invitations.  While I am sure this is possible... it is not a feasible plan for me.  Don't get me wrong, I will be doing A LOT of crafts this semester preparing for the big day, but I don't think invites will be on the craft list (which needs to be made...).  You may remember seeing our first attempt at a mock up of our hand crafted invites... the problem with this one was that the paper just seemed too flimsy... Here is the original mock up in case you missed it...

 Mock up with the inspirational one beside it...

The main reason I decided that making my invitations was a bad idea (at least for now) came when I decided that I needed to have raised ink and realized I couldn't do this on my own.  I knew from the beginning that I wanted to carry something throughout the wedding... something that was unique - like a monogram.  Solution?  Buy a monogram seal that was personalized with our initials and press that into the top of each invite after flat printing the rest.  Then I decided I didn't like that idea so much anymore and decided I could letterpress some part of the invite after flat printing the rest.  (Letterpress is where text is pressed down into the paper.)  I decided this was a bad idea because it would be incredibly time consuming.  There were considerations of these invites that you fold up and when guests get them, they tear off the bottom portion and mail back their response which is like a postcard - super cute... but not traditional... I considered these for a hot second (maybe more like a hot few days) then realized I wanted something more formal, more traditional.  I bounced back and forth back and forth between ideas.  I thought I had finally decided when I came to the conclusion that flat printing would be fine... then changed my mind back to raised ink and started looking online for the perfect invite...AGAIN!  At least I finally settled on colors... right? :-)

Well, I have continued the search and haven't been able to come up with anything that I am in love with yet that meets my criteria.  I LOVE the idea of a monogram and have clearly fell in love with polka dots... so should I use a monogram in a circle?  Should I even care about having raised ink on my invitations or would flat printing (like what you would get if you printed this page on a desktop printer) be ok?  Do people truly care about the type of printing on the invite?  Am I concerned too much about this little detail?  Should I still consider making my own or should I continue the search?  Any suggestions or words of advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment