Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Invitation Dilemma... Round 2

So you may remember me going on about how I am at a loss for what to do about these invitations.  Well, I stopped being crazy and upset about it and decided to sketch out a possible design - IF - I were to make them myself.  Here is the sketch images...  (please don't judge my poor artwork abilities)

This is the entire sketch sheet... There are more close ups below...
 Here is a picture of what I want the main invitation portion to look like.  I am thinking a yellow envelope with a liner that is blue paper with white polka dots.  The actual invitation would be on white paper that would have a punched out design on the left and right side of the paper.  This punch out would allow you to see the color of the paper behind it.  The paper behind it would be yellow and would fold up and close around the invitation and could be tied with a pretty blue ribbon.
 The response cards could be similar to the main invitations, with colors inverted and no closure around the response cards.  (Hope this is all making sense...)
 Information cards would look identical, in design, to the response cards.
I drug Jeff to Michael's with me to help me not spend a ton of money on supplies that we may not end up using and to help pick things out and help me think of possibilities.  I am sure that by July 16, he is probably going to hate craft stores more than he does now.  (I must tell you though, when we left the store after this adventure, he said he didn't mind it too much because we went in, got what we needed and got out and didn't spend time looking for more craft projects that we don't have time for...)
On our craft store adventure I found:
- an adorable paper puncher that does edging that is made by Martha Stewart... around $14.99
- blank white invitation card stock and envelopes (pack of 100)... around $10.99
- blue cardstock and white cardstock... $0.59/sheet (if this project flourishes, I must find these colors of cardstock in BULK!)
- a paper cutter to cut straight lines easily... around $9.99
While looking around in the wedding aisle, Jeff found an invitation DIY kit that was on sale.  There were plenty there for us to be able to purchase them and make our own invites from this kit that included EVERYTHING.... around $15.99
Luckily I had a coupon for 20% off my entire order... shopping trip total... around $50  (forgive my math skills... I think I may have forgotten a few items in our list...)
After the adventure, I decided it was time to try a portion of the idea.  I had invited people to come to my apartment to watch the playoff game so I could only try part of the idea before it was time for me to get ready.  Here was what I tried...

The white paper with the cut out part on the sides (just like I drew up)... making the sides close in proved to be pretty tough... I think if we do make these on our own, we will be scratching that part of the idea...
 Here is a close up of the invite... what do you think??
 Here is a close up of an invite from the kit that we got.  If we used this, I would probably want to put some embellishments on the right side to dress it up a little... but we will see...
Here is the inside of the kit invite.  There is a pocket on the left hand side for the response card and information card, which I like... But, I wasn't too crazy about the overall look and feel of the invite.

So after a few days of thinking about what I wanted it to look like and comparing the options, I decided to try a mock up of the actual layout of the invite print.  My printer ink was pretty much dead and it printed off center slightly, but other than that, I think I like my mock up.  What do you think?  Think we should use our design?
 Here is a close up of the monogram I designed for the invites.  There is a problem near the top of the outer circle with the dots because there are two that are almost touching - which shouldn't be there.  I gotta fix that little issue and then I will be happy with this monogram.  What do you all think?  Should we go for it?  Do you like the monogram?



No comments:

Post a Comment